Thursday, April 17, 2008

Hot to Trotz



I don't know how you can root against a team coached by a man who looks like Barry Trotz. The mere sight of him brings me a sense of joy that carries me through the day.

Luckily, the Predators, who are what the Islanders could have been this year, are scrappy enough that they're likable even without Barry No-Neck. And after a few bad breaks and some sloppy play in the first two games in Detroit, the Preds came storming back in Game 3 with the most exciting nine seconds in Nashville since, well, since the last time something exciting happened in contemporary country music. Then they came out strong last night and held on for dear life for the bulk of the game to even the series at two apiece. And Vince Gill was there to see it all. I bet he let out a high-pitched whoop when the game ended.

I don't know if they'll be able to win the best-of-3 with Detroit, but at least they're putting up a helluva fight for a low seed (yeah, I'm looking at you, Ottawa). And it's fun to chant "Let's Go Predators," because, let's face it, in these Chris Hansen-loving times, we don't get a chance to cheer for predators enough.

Plus, it's always fun to root for the underdog. Cue Sly and the Family Stone's "Underdog" (the Dirtbombs' cover rejected because they're from Detroit).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the post. Great song! I write about this song and more in my book about Sly - Sly: the Lives of Sylvester Stewart and Sly Stone. Check it out at Amazon.com or http://www.lulu.com/content/1412956